Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Back to blogging

Here is my dilemma. I have a few blogs (see blog roll to the right for some of them), and now I'm thinking that I'd like to combine them so all my writing is in one place and, key point, chronological. One of my favorite elements in writing is the use of chronology - and not necessarily in a linear fashion. However, when I'm referring back to my own posts, I'm feeling the need for strict order.

Hmmm, I think I've just had a revelation - I like to mix it up when I'm writing, but I find it more difficult to follow time jumps when I'm reading (it's easier with movies because of the visual placemarkers, I think). I definitely want to organize my own stuff (yeah, a little compulsive) and though I pride myself on being a savvy reader, it's true that time jumps in literature do make me spend a lot of time constructing timelines in my head and sometimes distracting me as I read.

So, maybe I need to work on my temporal reading skills. The alternative is to move to make my writing all straight-forward-in-time-order, and I don't think that's going to work for compelling writing.

Here is how I am going to address this: May is archive month. I will go find my old posts, of which I think there are less than 30 anyway, and repost them here in order so that I, and the readers who find me later, can read them as I wrote them, long ago. I'll add labels, too, so I can go get them as a group, because I plan to get back to the 500 words a day goal starting May 1 also, and some of those will be blog posts.

Shout out here btw to Leo at www.zenhabits.net for the one goal at a time habit and Trent at www.simpledollar.com for the inspiration to write A LOT and of course, Colette from the beginning at www.30-isnt-old.blogspot.com for "get off your ass and write" (paraphrased :~).

No comments: