Friday, June 05, 2009

What about Twitter?

I am conflicted about Twitter. One the pro side: I get to dip my toes into other people's lives (including Facebook friends because I use Tweetdeck to see both) to see what's up without having to commit to a dialogue back and forth; similarly, I get to make quick (clever?) comments out into the ether with very little retaliation (so far); unlike Facebook, I can follow people I'm not friends with, like Penn Jillette, and get to see a little bit of what they're up to; it's quick with the 140 character limit. Cons: is this quick, non-relational, impersonal, text-based "conversation" really a good idea?

I think the value is that for the people I don't know very well or aren't as close to getting a glimpse of what they want to share, including the ones that are mainly promotional in nature, is enough to make me feel like I'm in touch with people outside my daily circle. It's not useful for the people I really want to communicate with, because there is no back and forth. Interestingly, in my world, those particular people (and you know who you are) are not really active on these sites, preferring the personal interaction of the phone. Maybe that's why we get along so well, we call each other to talk when we've got something to say. And for everyone else, I can satisfy my need to know what's going on by following everyone else remotely via the social networking site(s).

Conclusion: I'm going to keep checking the Twitter (and Facebook) on a regular basis, but I don't think I'm ever going to become one of those really successful social networking marketers.

(The other possible force at work here is that my husband may be succeeding in his plan to make me as anti-social as himself, but I'm fighting that. After all, I am the one who got him into the habit of talking to me up to TWO HOURS A DAY on the phone - LOL - which continued even after we were living together and could talk all night - and sometimes I keep him up doing just that. Love you, honey.)

~N. 06/05/09

No comments: