Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Enough's enough

"Soul-sucking" is how I describe the part time job I've been doing since March 1st. Today was the last day and here is the letter I sent to the company (and a similar version to the temp agency) to close it out. Good to know the Master of Arts in Professional Writing is getting some use.

To [Co-owner, Husband of nut-job employer]:

You may be aware that [Crazy Lady] took 6 minutes off my timesheet for last week. I saw that you *may* be aware, because she did not bother to tell me. I only discovered it when I went to look at last week's timesheet to estimate my check for the week.

When I confronted her this morning, she said it was because I took personal calls at work. I assume she means the 6 minute call that I took from the Georgia Department of Labor last Thursday. This was not discussed any time in the 3 work days since the event. There was no discussion about this being a performance issue; there was no warning for a problem behavior or plan for corrective action; and, as stated above, I was not told about this consequence - a consequence that was not [Crazy Lady]'s to adjust since I worked for XYZ Staffing, not XXX Payroll.

I have spent most of my time there being made painfully aware that I am just the hourly temp, with only a basic intelligence about how to complete tasks. I almost always had to find out about changes in wrapping payrolls and mailings - what I understood to be my primary responsibility - through J. [co-worker, permanent employee], because [Crazy Lady] could not seem to communicate directly with me. Nearly every question I asked about anticipated mailings or how she wanted a task performed - and you know she is very particular - was met with annoyance and a tone of voice that I would call disdain.

As you know, her personal tone of voice is often loud and condescending, but I managed to endure most of this. However, it is now very clear that I was only worth the work she could squeeze out of every minute of my time there. My extensive HR, payroll and accounting expertise, plus almost 20 years of business experience, apparently pale next to my needing to step outside for a short phone call and forgetting to clock out one time.

I will be sending the factual information of this event to XYZ Staffing, whom I have already called to inform that I have left. They asked me not to contact you and I do not wish to disrupt your relationship with them, but I had a few things to say to you as management. This note is sent to close this event with XXX Payroll and to let you know how deeply disappointed I am that this did not work out due entirely to the poor treatment I received. Receiving basic work instructions on a "need to know" basis and being constantly spoken to as an inferior is an impossible job situation to remain in.

I have taken a screen shot of my time sheet for this week to prevent against any additional interference by [Crazy Lady]. I worked steadily today until you arrived and expect to be paid for my time to date. I have [#] hours recorded for these two days and will be reporting this to XYZ Staffing.

~Noelle Davis

Postscript: The issue here is that the client of the temp agency is also its payroll company. There is a clear conflict here when the client can adjust my paycheck without telling me or my employer. In fact, this seems criminal. I am waiting to make sure this week's check and next's get to me, or I'll be making a field trip to the Department of Labor.

1 comment:

Jeff C. said...

Good luck to you. My daughter in Chicago is in a similar type of situation. The difference is that she is not getting paid concommitantly with her responsibility, while others are getting raises. But she has no choice; the job market is still slow. I would not be upset if, one day, she walks in and demands some "respect." But I also fear the response.