Saturday, March 05, 2011

Nothing but time

I was sitting in the tax office, annoyed that I was killing a Saturday doing nothing and/or having to do taxes, which I'm tired of doing already this season. I took a break and went up to McDonald's for breakfast and to read my book for a little while. Eventually, I had to come back and I was considering what to do.

I'm not doing any more practice problems. I don't have any drop off returns to do. I spent the first wasted hour and a half this morning reading tax updates. I thought about writing in the notebook that I've started carrying about with me. Then I remembered that I have access to this blog page. The system blocks personal email and social networking sites, so I can't get to my gmail account or facebook, but it lets me through to blogspot, which uses a google sign on.

I have no excuse not to write if I have the time and capability.

Editing note: I edited the first sentence where I had first written "a little annoyed" and tightened it up to "annoyed." The edit was a result of coaching by Dr. Hill who advised me once about putting a word out there - "annoyed" in this case - then pulling back from the full emotion by modifying with "a little." I know I speak this way in an attempt to soften the blow of the statement.

Introspection note: If I'm needing to soften the blow of a statement, should I even be making it? That is, either I think something needs to be said and I should just say it, or I should keep it to myself. I can think of a few situations where this would apply. For example, I was telling Daphne at the office that I am trying not to yell at my children. This means that sometimes I will have to just walk away from the chance to have a really loud fight. It also means that sometimes, especially with Thing 2, that I will have to do what needs to be done (i.e., some household task that I'd previously delegated). I am also trying not to engage in pointless blame passing at work: "I wasn't supposed to do that:" "I told so-and-so to do that;" etc. Ask me later about the zen parable that is influencing my thinking here.

Ooooh, tax client is here. Back to work.

~N.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you'll want to put a twitter button to your blog. I just bookmarked the site, however I must complete this manually. Simply my advice.

Noelle said...

This gets back to the question of how easy I want it to be to find my blog. On one hand, how great if the whole world finds it and loves my writing and starts sending me Paypal payments. On the other hand, I am already self-editing to avoid making statements that would jeopardize my job or mess up my kids' social affiliations. So, I still have to think about it.