Sunday, July 10, 2011

New goals

At Joe's suggestion, I've been reading "Moonwalking with Einstein" by Joshua Foer about a journalist's yearlong quest to understand the history and value of memorization and his own work on improving his own skills to the point that he can be competitive.

While reading the book, I have become a little interested in learning some memorization tricks (I used one for Thing 1 to memorize a locker combination this morning), but more interested in some of the other ideas that the author found.

He talks about how people learn skills and how to get past plateaus in learning. He talked about learning an instrument and that reminded me that I had the flute upstairs.

I dusted it off (literally, the case had been at the top of a bookcase for a long time) and practiced some scales for 15 minutes. (In my endless purging of stuff, the flute practice books are something I have never really considered getting rid of.)

I've decided to renew some goals for myself based on my positive experience with the flute. Naturally, writing daily is on the goal list. We'll have to see how it goes.

~N.

No comments: